I recently decided that I want to link to great blog articles or other nerd-related posts once in a while. Probably once a week. There’s so much cool stuff out there, and time to give it some link love. Without further ado:
- Without wanting to flatter him much, Doone writes some of the most thoughtful blog posts out there, often dealing with the difficult topics of sexism and racism in gaming culture. The Big Lie is one of his older posts, but recently was tweaked a bit. Well worth a read.
- Doone is also working on this year’s edition of the NBI, the Newbie Blogger Initiative. I participated two years ago, and might do so again as supporter this year, hopefully with time permitting.
- I am currently thoroughly disillusioned with Blizzard, which makes me go sadface. I hate their lack of content, but mostly, I kind of abhor their marketing schemes. Their well-timed efforts in distracting their playerbase with access to alpha versions of their games make me sigh. I fully expect a giant wave of beta invites for Warlords of Draenor to go out on June 3, the day Wildstar releases. And then there’s Warlords of Draenor itself. MoP’s beta initially left me cold because pandas. But pandas were imminently preferable to heavy metal band orc bros, time traveling nonsense and now Azeroth Choppers. Apple Cider Mage and Tzufit co-wrote an article that takes a close look at the many ways WoD’s cross-channel marketing leaves me utterly cold. And that’s without considering some of the alarming sexist lore spoilers about orc women. Frustrating.
- Eurogamer often has fantastic posts about backstories of a game, and their true story behind the making of Bioshock is a great read. I think working with Ken Levine sounds awkward and in general, I am quite happy to not actually work in games. It sounds awful.
- Last but not least I want to congratulate Belghast to his 5 year blogoversary. That’s quite the achievement. I’ve been reading him since Tank Like A Girl days, which actually means that I have been blogging for six years myself, gasp. Just with long breaks here and then. He’s actually becoming more adventurous lately, by starting a podcast and streaming his gaming. Big grats, Bel!
That’s it for this week. Have a good one, and belated happy Easter.